Start with Underdog Press Party, the Boston Herald’s weekly Wayne’s World webcast. Its latest edition led with a segment about things not going better with Koch at “the pricey headquarters of WGBH.”
• David Koch is the Big Bird of donors – 18 million bucks
• These people are way out of line – the controversy is ridiculous
• The guys outside WGBH are tree-hugging liberals who probably can’t rub two pennies together – they will never be on the [WGBH] board of directors
And a rare moment of sanity from Doctor Bob Rosenthal: “David Koch is clearly not doing it for political gain – he’s doing it from the goodness of his heart because he loves Nova.”
Crosstown at Big Dog WGBH, this led their Beat the Press edition.
• Since 2000 WGBH has produced 12 films on climate change, nine of them by Nova crediting a donor who supports organizations that deny global warming is awkward at best
• Koch himself hasn’t denied climate change, but organizations he supports have
• There’s no evidence that he’s interfered with programming that isn’t about him directly, even if it expresses views he disagrees with
• I think the idea of having litmus tests for donors is troubling
• As long as there’s transparency on who the donors are and where the money is going, I think that’s where it ends
And that’s where we end.
One town. Two different places.