Well that was one for the ages, no?
The hardworking staff will leave the play-by-play of the St. Louis Cardinals’ knee-buckling victory in Game 6 of the World Series to others and go straight to the color commentary:
• Twice Fox sportscaster Joe Buck uttered those fateful words, “and the Texas Rangers are one strike away.”
• Twice they suddenly weren’t.
• Twice the Cardinals came from two runs down to tie the game.
• Twice they had the winning run on third and failed to bring him home.
• Twice local-boy-done-good David Freese came through in the clutch: two-run triple in the 9th, walkoff homer in the 11th.
• Twice as nice: Game 7 tomorrow night.
• Bonus twofer, via the AP’s Mike Fitzpatrick:
As Freese’s shot cleared the center field fence, Fox broadcaster Joe Buck reprised the famous call by his late father, Jack, on Kirby Puckett’s homer to win Game 6 of the 1991 World Series for Minnesota.
“We will see you tomorrow night!”
(Ring Lardner World’s Serious tribute here.)