After the hardworking staff (and the Missus) watched Sunday night’s episode of AMC’s excellent series The Killing, we switched over to the 11 O’Clock News only to find this:
Osama Bin Laden Is Dead.
So, in the interest of keeping our splendid readers informed, we went click-about:
• Best for first: NBC preempted Celebrity Apprentice for the breaking news, firing Donald Trump in favor of David Gregory. Which worked out fine, since Gregory was also all about himself, endlessly referencing an interview he did with David Petraeus last August about Bin Laden.
• ABC’s George Stephanopoulos is talking to Andrew Card, supered as “Fmr Chief of Staff for W George Bush.”
• Fox News features Geraldo Rivera and the super “Usama Bin Laden Is Dead.” Always gotta be different, eh guys?
• CNN has video of people gathering outside the White House gates and singing the national anthem.
• Back on NBC, Brian Williams has bigfooted Gregory out of the Big Chair.
• ABC has a Live Webcam of Ground Zero in New York.
• NBC’s Williams says “in two minutes we’ll go to the East Room of the White House” for Pres. Obama’s address.
• NBC’s Williams: “Were now being told that was a false two-minute warning.”
• ABC’s Stephanopoulos: “Let’s go quickly to Martha Raddatz.” She’s not there.
• At FNC, Bret Baier and Greta Van Sustern are now in the house, but Geraldo’s still the maitre d’. “I don’t want to be silly about it,” he says, “but this is a joyous, if somber, event.” Only Geraldo could do joyous and somber simultaneously.
• CNN’s Ed Henry says the crowd outside the White House has “grown from about 40 to hundreds.” One of them tells Henry, “This is the best day ever in American history.” Henry doesn’t argue.
• Pres. Obama finally shows up in the East Room, delivers a well-written speech in a sort of bloodless way.
• The hardworking staff can’t listen to the chin-strokerati one minute longer, turns TV off.