Saturday New York Times column from Gail Collins:
Name That Candidate
The end of an election season is always thick with regrets. Do you think Meg Whitman is contemplating all the other things she could have done with $141 million? Does the Republican candidate for the United States Senate in West Virginia kick himself for allowing his wife to establish a voting residence in Florida?
Among the other questions Collins posed:
II. Match the excuses:
A) “I’ll put it up on my Web site, I promise you.”
B) “I had read that in one place.”
C) “This is four years ago.”
D) “You know, I’m a mom. … My daughter’s in Europe.”
1) Sharron Angle, the U.S. Senate candidate in Nevada on her claim that Dearborn, Mich., and the nonexistent town of Frankford, Tex., are governed by Sharia law.
2) Alex Sink, a gubernatorial candidate in Florida, explaining why she looked at a debate tip, texted onstage via a makeup artist’s cellphone.
3) Ben Quayle, a Congressional candidate in Arizona, on charges by the owner of the Dirty Scottsdale Web site that Quayle once ran a section aimed at finding “the hottest chick in Scottsdale.”
4) Senate candidate Christine O’Donnell of Delaware on her failure to come up with a Supreme Court ruling she disagreed with.
(Answers: A-4; B-1; C-3; D-2.)
Cut to: Sunday Boston Globe column from Yvonne Abraham:
Political savvy tested
Hallelujah! This wacky-ugly political season is almost over. Even for Massachusetts, we saw a whole lotta crazy this year. But how closely were you paying attention? Test your political junkiness with this fun quiz!
Among the questions Abraham posed:
3. When asked to name his favorite beer, the governor of Massachusetts chose:
A. Sam Adams, brewed by The Boston Beer Company
B. Any of the delicious Harpoon beers, made in Boston and Windsor, Vt.
C. A toffy, obscure beer called Moretti from Udine, Italy
D. Bud, a beer drunk by real men who are People Like Us
Answer: C, and winner of the Senator John “Ducati’’ Kerry Award.
Don’t get me wrong: Abraham’s column was a lot of fun.
Just a lot of Collins as well.