Rafael Nadal just lost in the first round at Wimbledon . . . to the #135-ranked player in men’s tennis . . . in straight sets.
From USA Today:
WIMBLEDON, England — Rafael Nadal is out of Wimbledon early for the second year in a row.
Nadal, playing his first match since winning the French Open, was outplayed, outserved and ultimately ousted by Steve Darcis of Belgium, ranked No. 135 in the world, 7-6 (7-4), 7-6 (10-8), 6-4.
“I tried my best out there,” Nadal said. “I had my chances, it wasn’t possible.”
It’s the first first-round loss in a major for the two-time Wimbledon champion . . .
Nadal has turned into the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (Tanned) of Wimbledon, having lost in the second round last year to Lukas Rosol of the Czech Republic. Nadal spent the next seven months out with a knee injury, and it may be that history is repeating itself.
Nadal clearly was not at his best on Monday, not moving particularly well and struggling with a sore knee.
Nadal deflected questions about his health, saying “today is not the time to talk about this.”
“I don’t want to talk about my knee,” he said. “Steve Darcis played a fantastic match. He deserved it. If I talk about my knee, it’s an excuse.”
Okay, but sounds like he’ll be talking about it eventually. Let’s just hope it’s not seven months from now.