As the hardreading staff at Two-Daily Town has chronicled, the Boston Herald is hellbent on blaming the Massachusetts welfare system for the Marathon bombings last week.
Now comes the cavalry, compliments of Fox News (via Mediaite).
Reacting to a Wednesday morning report that deceased Boston bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev and his wife received Massachusetts state welfare payments, Fox’s The Five tore into the system for enabling a “taxpayer-funded jihad.”
According to the Boston Herald, Tsarnaev was receiving state benefits, along with his wife Katherine and their 3-year-old daughter, until 2012 when the family ceased to meet the income eligibility limits required by the state’s Executive Office of Health and Human Services. The paper also reported that both of Tsarnaev’s parents received state welfare payments at some point.
That’s a stunning stew of misinformation and xenophobia, but why get technical about it.
Meanwhile, today’s Boston Herald has this lead story:
The Patrick administration is still keeping the welfare records of the slain marathon bombing mastermind under wraps — after agreeing, under political and public pressure, to release the information only to a House oversight committee where it will remain a secret.
Gov. Deval Patrick’s top spokesperson said last night there is an “exception in the law” that allows the welfare records to be shown to state legislators, but that’s where the transparency ends.
“The Legislature is not allowed to share it,” said Jesse Mermell, the governor’s director of communications.
But the Herald will share as much as it can, yeah?