Damn Yankees! (2010 ALCS Edition)

Dude, can the Yankees please get a mercy rule for the 9th inning of their games?

I understand why Sergio (The Human White Flag) Mitre was on the mound for the final frame of last night’s beatdown by the Texas Rangers, but really – is he the best bad pitcher the Bronx Bunglers have?

[Your bitter recriminations – or victory dances – go here.]

This ALCS has magnified every weakness the big ballclub dragged through the regular season: spotty pitching, abysmal run production, squandered opportunities. After Game 1 it looked like the Yankees might have the mojo to take this series. Now it’s clear all they have is nojo.

[It’s never a good sign when you start each inning asking “What fresh hell is this?” (With apologies to Dorothy Parker.)]

Soooo . . . that dream of the first Yankees-Giants World Serious since 1962 (thanks to the Missus, I have an OFFICIAL PROGRAM FIFTY CENTS) is all up in smoke, yes?

Not so fast. Having been done in 2004, the Yankees still have a shot at being the doer this year.

One C.C. of Sabathia!

STAT!

Advertisements

8 Responses to Damn Yankees! (2010 ALCS Edition)

1. Fred Grosso says:

Baseball is a beautiful game. All the players want to make the play-offs. The Yankees make them often and that is a sign of success. What is Yankee bashing?

I’m with you all the way, Fred – until the last sentence. Not sure what you mean, but thanks for writing.

2. cj says:

If it wasn’t for a collapse of the Rangers’ bullpen in game one, this thing this thing would be over. OTOH, the Yankees have been there before, and know how to fight in a playoff. It aint over til it’s over. BTW, I do want Texas to win, or more accurately, the Yankees to lose. Forgive me, I’m a lifelong Sox fan who can’t help himself.

3. Laurence Glavin says:

Since I’ve never had a lobotomy, I won’t be watching the next Yankees baseball game, or any baseball game for that matter. So I’d really appreciate it if the hardworking-except-when-they-are-watching-sports-on-the-TeeVee staff could get a screen grab of George W. Bush’s face IF the pinstripers win these games in the stadium built by Texas taxpayers and bestowed on the Bush crime family.

Now, now, Laurence – no reason to be so dyspeptic, especially when you’re asking for favors. I’ll pass your request onto the hardwatching staff.

4. Michael Pahre says:

Let me offer my profound sympathies…