The hardworking staff half-listened-to/half-watched last night’s third and final presidential debate (video excerpts and transcript here, via the Washington Post), and this is what we thought (no quotes verbatim):
• If you picked tumult, comprehensive strategy, or wrongandreckless for your drinking game, you were sleeping over wherever you watched the debate telecast.
• Obama is taking the fight to Romney, a mirror image of their first debate. Via TPM LiveWire:
“Gov. Romney, I’m glad you recognize al-Qaeda is a threat, because a few months ago when you were asked what is the biggest geopolitical group facing America, you said Russia — not al-Qaeda. And the 1980’s are now calling to ask for their foreign policy back — because the Cold War has been over for 20 years. But Governor, when it comes to our foreign policy, you seem to want to import the foreign policies of the 1980’s, just like the social policy of the 1950’s, and the economic policies of the 1920’s.”
• Romney: “I don’t concur with Pres. Obama’s about my record.” Don’t concur? That the best you got, Mitt?
• Romney recurring theme: “Attacking me is not an agenda.” That sounded more and more whiney as the evening wore on.
• Romney passes on Libya. Is he playing not to lose? If so, he’s lost.
• Funny, but split-screen Romney looks more worried than smug tonight.
• Romney goes on the offensive re: Iran, apology tour.
• Obama: Apology tour “biggest whopper of the campaign.”
• Romney Apology Tour, Take Two: Obama skipped Israel, said U.S. was “dismissive and derisive” and “dictated to other nations.”
• Obama: At last when I went to Israel as a candidate in 2008, I went without donors in tow and without staging fundraising events.
• Round to: Obama.
• Did Bob Schieffer just say “Obama bin Laden”?
• Prediction: Romney will label Big Bird a currency manipulator before he slaps that label on China.
• It’s Obama who’s got the death stare going tonight. And it’s Romney who’s halting and hesitant.
• Closing statements: Don’t really matter.
Then again, this debate doesn’t really matter, either. But it’s got to have the Obamanauts beaming.