WGBH Sunsets “Eric in the Evening”

From a knowledgeable source at WGBH:

Also no word on what/who will replace Eric. Re-reruns of The Takeaway? That’s what ‘GBH seems to do across the board these days.

(Full disclosure: The hardworking staff worked hard at WGBH for 11 years.)

About these ads

11 Responses to WGBH Sunsets “Eric in the Evening”

1. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. No “Eric in the Evening”? How can this be?
    Next thing you’ll tell me that Click and Clack are going away.

2. They can just get their programming from Clear Channel’s indie promo people, like everyone else.

3. Bob Gardner says:

I’ll especially miss hearing Steve Schwarz. Without his show I never would have heard of Tony Fruscella or Don Joseph. I’m guessing that the braintrust at ‘GBH has figured out a way to run the audio portion of their infomercials on the radio.

4. Bill says:

Seems to me that GBH TV and Radio have to stop believing their own hype about how great they are (plus they need to stop that incessant self-promotion “we’re public Radio/TV and thus wonderful”). Their excess of self-esteem is showing. They spend too much time after every show going beyond promoting other shows (there’s too much of that, too, IMO), but also beating you over the head with their own accolades. Meanwhile, their website has many errors, and gaps, and outright mistakes, and the programming often consists of re-runs, pledge drives, auctions, and other filler, to excess. At some point, people are going to pull back the curtain and see there’s far less there than they have been lulled into believing, And when that happens, all h*** will break loose.

Used to be Beat the Press whacked TV stations that presented promos as news. Now, apparently, they ARE that station.

5. Laurence Glavin says:

On a few occasions, when I tuned to channel 2 on cable or channel 19 over-the-air (which I can’t do right now because their transmitting antenna is in the shop) after the “PBS Newshour” and before “Beat the Press”, instead of a promo for “Downton Abbey” or “Frontline”, there was a “musical interlude” featuring Ernie Boch, Junior. ARRRRGH!

6. Sarah says:

I have a theory. I think WGBH is trying to stop everyone from listening to the radio. Why else would they reduce Eric and eliminate Steve ? Instead of doing that, they should realize what a gold mine Eric and Steve are. What’s not to love?- DJ’s that are brilliantly playing the highest art form being made today, living in the same town where the program is being recorded so that the public learns about music events happening the programming creates a sense of community.
    If anything, Eric and Steve deserve to be nationalized and declared National Treasures.

7. Luca Ricco says:

I am not listening wgbh at night when there isn’t Eric in the evening…I think it is one the best program you had and it would be a shame to get rid of it!!

8. A friend says:

What a horrible mistake to cancel Eric. A true keeper of the flame, he is one of New England’s most-loved and -respected reflections of jazz culture.